Monday, August 13, 2012

Chocolate Frosting Shots

Picture by Chocolate Covered Katie

Chocolate Covered Katie is another blog that I am following. She specializes in healthy desserts! Now most of them are a little out of my comfort zone because they use ingredients that I am not sure I like. I thought this recipe was a perfect way to ease myself into her recipes.

She has the chocolate frosting shot recipe and also a strawberry frosting shot recipe. I was originally going to try the strawberry recipe but my love for chocolate won. The recipes are very easy to make. The only disappointment is that you have to open the can of coconut milk and leave it in the fridge overnight. I didn't realize that until I was ready to make it and eat some chocolate, and then re-read the recipe. I was a little bummed but went ahead and started the process so I could have chocolate goodness the next day.

Here is what you need:

Chocolate Frosting:
  • 1 can full-fat coconut milk
  • 1/4 cup plus 1 tbsp cocoa powder
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • sweetener to taste (I used a little Stevia, but any dry sweetener will do.)

Strawberry Frosting:
  • 1 can full-fat coconut milk
  • 2-5 strawberries (more will yield a thinner mousse)
  • 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • sweetener to taste (Stevia or powdered sugar)
  • tiny pinch salt (trust me)

Here are the directions:

Open the coconut milk, and leave the can (or transfer to a bowl) uncovered in the fridge overnight, unless it’s already thick like mousse. (Don’t shake the can before opening.) It should get very, very thick. (If it doesn’t, you’ve gotten a bad can that won’t work for the recipe. I highly recommend Thai Kitchen Organic, because I’ve had the most success with that brand.) Once thick, transfer to a bowl (you can opt to leave out the watery bit at the bottom of the can, if you want it even thicker) and whip in your cocoa, vanilla, and sweetener with a fork, or even beaters if you want to be fancy. Stored uncovered in the fridge, the mixture gets even thicker.

My Thoughts:

 Ok so I don't read directions sometimes very well and this time was one of those times. I had already opened the can and dumped it into a bowl to leave in refrigerator overnight and oops..stirred it up! So the next day it was thin and the next day it still hadn't thickened up. I started thinking about how I could save it and not waste perfectly good coconut milk. I decided to go ahead and put the cocoa powder in it and some powdered sugar. I got the hand mixer out and used it for about 3 minutes. It still was thin so I put it into the freezer......if I couldn't make frosting MAYBE it would freeze well. Two day later I tried it and it was delicious. It was similar to chocolate coconut ice cream. I was headed out to work and couldn't wait until I was off to eat some more. Another 3 days passed and it is still very good. It was a little harder but I let it sit for several minutes and it was perfect. Next time I will try to make one with Splenda and another one with sweet n low. I will let you know now it goes and what they taste like. IF one of the sweeteners works and is just as good then I will be making this all the time because it will be low sugar (just whatever naturally occurs in the coconut milk) and non-dairy!

1 comment:

  1. This sounds great, I'll have to try this at our house!

    ReplyDelete