Monday, May 21, 2012

Oreo Layer Dessert


I have made this dessert twice now and both times it did not disappoint. The recipe came from blogger House 344. The layers of Oreos, cream cheese, pudding, and Cool Whip are delicious and so easy to make. I think this may be one of my new go-to recipes for potlucks and parties. The first time I made this recipe I used all brand name products and the second time I used the cheaper Kroger brands. While the second time was good, it was a little off. It just had a different taste and it wasn't as delicious as the first time I made it. I didn't know if it was because of first time love, second time disappointment or if there really was something that just wasn't as good as the name brand products. I did some taste investigating and here is what I decided: The Kroger Kid-O's were good. There wasn't much difference between them and Oreos. The same goes with the Cool Whip and Kroger Whipped Topping. It was the chocolate pudding! If you make this don't skimp just to save a couple cents. The Kroger chocolate pudding wasn't as good as Jell-O. I have learned over the years that you can't skimp on some products because the name brand is just better! Here is how the to make this deliciousness:

Gather your groceries: 
1 pack of Oreos
1/2 cup butter
1 large box of instant chocolate pudding
2- 8 ounce tubs of cool whip
8 ounce block of softened cream cheese
1 cup powdered sugar

Crush the WHOLE package of cookies. I do mine in a zip-lock bag with a rolling pin. Save about a 1/2 cup to sprinkle on top of dessert when it's done. Pour the remaining crumbs in a 13x9 pan. Melt the butter and pour into the crumb mix. Stir it up and press crumbs in bottom of pan to make a crust. Make the chocolate pudding according to package directions and let it set in the fridge. In a mixing bowl blend the softened cream cheese until smooth and then slowly add powdered sugar. After the cream cheese and powdered sugar is completely mixed, fold in 1 of the 8 ounce tub of cool whip.  Top the Oreo crust layer with cream cheese mix. Next add the pudding layer then topped with your last 8 ounce tub of cool whip. Last you sprinkle the remaining Oreos on top. Now cover, refrigerate, and try not to eat it all!


**The second time I made this I forgot to save some of the Oreos to sprinkle on top but a little chocolate syrup drizzled on top was almost better!

No comments:

Post a Comment